Penguin Island and the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park has been a favourite playground for locals since the late 1800’s and for many it holds a special place in their hearts. In response to an increase in enquiries regarding ‘scattering of ashes’ we have compiled the following information to assist with your planning.
Scattering of Ashes (Ceremony Only)
Most parties request a short, simple service. This is conducted from our ferry, in between our standard cruise schedules. Passengers board at Mersey Point for a short cruise into Shoalwater Bay to conduct the ceremony. Total cruise duration is approximately 30- 40 minutes before returning to Mersey Point. Maximum capacity is 75 passengers. Possible cruise times are 9.15- 9.50am, 10.15- 10.50am, 11.15- 11.50am, 1.15- 1.50pm, 2.15- 2.50pm and 3.15- 3.50pm. Please note some departure times may not be available depending on our daily cruise schedule.
Estimated cost for this option is $330
Scattering of Ashes (Extended Ceremony)
Parties who would like to conduct an extended service and perhaps take in more of Shoalwater Bay can hire our glass bottom boat. Passengers board the Queanbeyan at Mersey Point for a cruise through Shoalwater Bay to a quiet place to conduct the ceremony. Total cruise duration is approximately 90 minutes before returning to Mersey Point. Maximum capacity is 49 passengers.
Possible cruise time is 2.15- 3.45pm. Please note some departure times may not be available depending on our daily cruise schedule.
Estimated cost for this option is $660
Memorials on Penguin Island
The picnic area and beach in front of the Discovery Centre on Penguin Island is available for after hour’s functions from 4pm till sunset. The scenery and peaceful atmosphere of the island once the general public has left for the day is unique. Maximum capacity is 150 guests. Guests can be ferried from the mainland from 3pm or dropped off immediately after a scattering of ashes if choosing this option. We suggest you wait until after 4.15pm to commence the ceremony once the general public have left. Guests must depart before the official sunset time for the day which can be viewed at http://sunrisesunset.willyweather.com.au/wa/perth/perth.html
Estimated cost for this option is:
Group Size of 1 to 75 people- $1720
Group Size of 76- 150 people- $2580
* If combining a Scattering of Ashes with a Memorial on Penguin Island
*All prices are GST inclusive and include ferry transfers, venue hire and a 7% marine park levy
Points to Consider
- After hours bookings available daily September 15th until the long weekend in June (excluding public holiday weekends).
- Memorials on Penguin Island can only be held after hours from 4pm with all guests required to depart by sunset (usually between 6 and 7.30pm depending on time of year) to ensure the little penguins aren’t disturbed when they return to Penguin Island in the evening.
- Memorials are limited to the picnic area and beach in front of the Discovery Centre. Guests can also access the timber boardwalks & western beach.
- Our licence limits your group to a maximum of 150 guests.
- Penguin Island is an A class nature reserve. We ask that you take the well being of the environment and it's wildlife into account by ensuring your guests are aware that there is no smoking permitted on the boats or Penguin Island.
- Littering is strictly prohibited. All rubbish must be placed in the bin bags provided and removed from the Island at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- No power outlets are in place at any of the permitted ceremony sites. We have a battery operated PA system available that can also play music from smart phones via Bluetooth.
- Musical instruments are permitted on an acoustic basis and must be kept to an acceptable noise level.
- There are no kiosk or barbeque facilities on the island but you are welcome to take eskies and picnic baskets.
- Catering (including cooking on barbeques) is available but limited to our services due to the strict environmental and safety considerations on Penguin Island.
- Penguin Island is a public open space so the consumption of alcohol is at the discretion of The Department of Parks & Wildlife. Alcohol may be consumed on a BYO basis if done so in a responsible manner (2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 for every hour after that).
- There are environmentally friendly composting toilets on the island and public toilets at Mersey Point on the mainland.
- Our ferry has wheelchair access and timber boardwalks on the island allow good disabled access from the landing jetty to the picnic area.
Bookings and Enquiries
Submit the enquiry form and we will reply with availability and a proposed itinerary within 48 hours. Alternatively speak to our reservations staff on
Ph (08) 9591 1333.