Penguin Island is a stunning location for your next corporate function, team building event or Christmas Party. The grassed picnic area in front of the Discovery Centre is protected from the sea breeze and overlooks breathtaking coastal views of the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park. Private events can now be held after hours from 4pm after the island closes to the general public, allowing complete privacy for you and your guests. We can assist with planning and offer a range of activities & services that make the most of this unique location including:
- Cruises through the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park to see wild dolphins, sea lions and take in the ruggedly spectacular islands
- Exclusive penguin feeding presentations at the Discovery Centre
- Guided walks along the nature trails and beaches to see and learn about the islands flora, fauna and unique history
- Try stand up paddle boarding and snorkelling
- Cooking demonstrations and tastings using local chefs and produce
Rockingham Wild Encounters have proudly organized and hosted a range of afterhours events for clients including Tourism Western Australia, The youth delegates attending CHOGM in Perth, The Rockingham Kwinana Chamber of Commerce, The BHP Billiton Social Club and the Western Australian Naturalists Club.
Points to Consider
- Available daily September 15th until the long weekend in June (excluding public holiday weekends).
- After hours functions are from 4pm with guests required to depart by sunset (usually between 6 and 7.30pm depending on time of year) to ensure the little penguins aren’t disturbed as they return to Penguin Island in the evening).
- Functions are limited to the picnic area and beach in front of the Discovery Centre. Guests may also access the timber boardwalks & western beach.
- Our licence limits the afterhours functions to a maximum of 150 guests.
- Penguin Island is an A class nature reserve. We ask that you advise guests that there is no smoking permitted on the boats or Penguin Island.
- Littering, including the throwing of confetti and rice, is strictly prohibited. All rubbish is to be placed in the bin bags provided and removed from the Island at the conclusion of the function.
- Limited power outlets are available. We have a battery operated PA system available that can also play music from smart phones via Bluetooth.
- Musical instruments are permitted on an acoustic basis and must be kept to an acceptable noise level.
- There are no kiosk or barbeque facilities on the island. Eskies and picnic baskets are welcome.
- Catering (including barbeques) is available but limited to our contractors due to strict environmental and safety considerations on Penguin Island.
- Penguin Island is a public open space so the consumption of alcohol is at the discretion of The Department of Parks & Wildlife. Alcohol may be consumed on a BYO basis if done so in a responsible manner (2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 for every hour after that).
- There are environmentally friendly composting toilets on the island and public toilets at Mersey Point on the mainland.
- Our ferry has wheelchair access and timber boardwalks on the island allow good disabled access from the landing jetty to the picnic area.
- Photography is permitted on the Island.
Bookings and Enquiries
Submit the enquiry form and we will reply with availability and a proposed itinerary within 48 hours. Alternatively speak to our reservations staff on Ph (08) 9591 1333